Pages

Monday, December 12, 2011

Studio Love - the reality check

This post is the first in the Great CarrieTown Studio Cleanup Series of 2012:
 
I spend a lot of my free time browsing photos of slick, well organized craft spaces. I have even devoted an entire Pinterest board to this obsession. I dream of being able to waltz into my well-lit immaculate space, sit down, listen to classical music and finally create that masterpiece the world has been waiting for.


The reality is a little more cluttered. I am very lucky to have a craft space. I converted half of my two car garage into a sunny space where I can create my artwork and jewelry and any other messy project I may want to attempt. This year I added a DVR, and it is usually stocked with classic commercial free films and favorite TV shows. I even have a dedicated speaker station so I can plug in my iPad and listen to podcasts.

It is a very creative space, but lately I have been re-evaluating storage. I tend to forget about things unless I can see them in front of my face, which means that everything is visible. Want proof, just check out these pics:
This is the jewelry station--the clutter means that I only have an area 6 x 12" to work in

The paper desk featuring Werthers Originals, the official old lady candy of CarrieTown

Paper desk from the back - there is some storage, but more paper comes out than goes in
The cutting and packaging counter - the cabinets below are filled with plates waiting to be broken into mosaics projects
The organization of CarrieTown is an ongoing project, but I thought I would start with the absolute messiest photos so the after pics would look more impressive.

As I continue, please feel free to add any constructive comments or suggestions of organization tips and tricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment