Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Studio Clean-out Update - The Mosaics Cupboard

As promised, I have started the great studio renovation of 2012. I spent a lot of time evaluating how I work best and what I wanted out of a dream workspace. I realized that about 70% of the storage is taken up by mosaic supplies, but 70% of the projects are jewelry & paper. So, I am trying to make the studio more conducive to jewelry and paper all year long.

Project #1: The Mosaics Cupboard

When we built my studio seven years ago, we installed used kitchen cabinets purchased from a recycled building materials store. Then I proceeded to stack tons and tons of plates in these cabinets for 'future projects'. I realized when I start a new mosaics project, I don't want to spend time cutting plates into tiles, I want to just open a box of pieces and get started. So, I spend $14 at the dollar store and got plastic bins to store shards and pieces. I don't know if I would trust liquids in these bins, but they work great for storage! I also downloaded these labels from Cathe Holden and printed them on full-sheet label paper. I have made the conscious decision to hand write the labels to save time--even though my precious Brother P-Touch is fab, I need to move forward, rather than take the time to type and print, etc. etc.

This photo shows the glorious promise of organization, peace and harmony that will soon reign in CarrieTown.

However, getting to that place means sorting, sorting, sorting

This is the first of many donations piles. Many items will go back to the thrift store from whence they came.

More bins with labels...and a bored Bobby in the background. 

The next steps will be to organize the bins and to continue to discard unrealistic plates--those plates that are heavy ceramic which are hard to cut by hand, or ugly plates which will never become mosaic projects. I am also going to consolidate all the mosaics storage to these two cupboards which will leave the open shelves for more attractive storage.

No comments:

Post a Comment